Healthy Thursday: How Aromatherapy Can Help You

Thursday, January 29, 2015



Recently I've been really interested in aromatherapy. I've always known how different smells can trigger things in your mind to help with various health reasons. I've also used some oils in my daily life before. A lot of people don't realize how amazing aromatherapy actually works for your body and mind. There are a ton of different health problems (mind and body) that aromatherapy helps with. Here are a few that I know a lot of people have problems with!

Stress

I talked a lot about how to relieve stress and anxiety in my post here. As I found out from comments and learning experiences, a lot of us have a lot of stress and anxiety in our lives. One of the ways to relieve this is with aromatherapy. The best essential oils to smell is lavender, rose, and Roman chamomile. Lavender is used for different reasons but it helps balance our physical and mental bodies. Rose helps with depression. Roman chamomile helps with mental anxiety, hostility, and paranoia. These three oils help a lot!

Lack of Sleep

Insomnia is something a lot of people suffer from. It takes me about an hour and a half to fall asleep and it prevents me from getting my required amount of sleep each night. Aromatherapy helps a lot with this! Like I said above, lavender helps with a bunch of different problems and it also helps with sleep. Clary sage also helps with sleep because it is a natural sedative. The best way to smell these while sleeping is to spray the scent on your pillow of bedsheets.

Increase Energy

We all have those days where we just can't seem to stay awake. This is a common thing that happens to everyone pretty often. It's crazy to think that smelling something can increase your energy but it can! Cinnamon is one of the best essential oils to smell when you're fatigued. It is a strong scent that opens your eyes and boosts your brain to help you focus. I've heard of some people who keep a tea bag of cinnamon in their purses and often smell it when they need a little pick me up!

Headaches

I suffer from migraines all of the time and aromatherapy seriously helps. Some smells make it worse but I'll stay away from those when I feel a headache coming on. It is getting pretty common for people getting headaches and migraines so here are a few smells that can help relieve the pain! Peppermint essential oils are great for this. Because of the menthol in it, it helps relieve stress and tension headaches as well as muscle pain!

Colds and Flu

Since we're in the midst of flu season there are many different ways to help this. Next week I'm writing about different cold and flu remedies! One way that can help is with eucalyptus essential oil. This smell stimulates your nervous system and helps relieve nasal congestion!

I'm sure some of you are wondering what to do with the oils. There are many different ways to smell them! One way is to buy a diffuser to put the oils in to distribute them in the air. They also sell essential oils in a spray so you can spray them periodically on your bed or in the air around you. Some people also use this like you would for perfume by dabbing the oil on your wrists. You can also buy tea that has these oils that you can smell throughout your day!

Have a Healthy Thursday everyone!
xo
Olivia

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS